Disney has been slammed by victims of the deadly 7/7 terror attack after the entertainment giant recreated the bombings for an upcoming TV drama.
The bombing of the Number 30 bus at Tavistock Square, in Bloomsbury, one of four bombings that took place on July 7 2005, was mocked up in central London for a Disney+ show depicting the events surrounding a police shooting of an innocent Brazilian shortly after attempted bombings in London on 21 July of the same year.
Victims of Britain’s deadliest terror attack slammed Disney for recreating the traumatic day, and even accused the company of failing to consult victims in the run-up to the filming of Suspect: The Shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes.
Filmmakers were seen setting up the production site in Bermondsey, less than two miles away from the blast at Liverpool Street Station which killed seven people.
The explosion that tore through the bus was faithfully recreated, along with blood spatters across nearby pavements and upturned bus seats.
The bombing of the Number 30 bus at Tavistock Square, in Bloomsbury, one of four bombings that took place on July 7 2005, was mocked up in central London for a Disney+ show
The iconic image of a young woman being rushed through London’s streets with a burn mask was recreated, but in the wrong place
The 7/7 terror attack in 2005 was the deadliest to ever hit Britain
52 civilians were killed, along with the four terrorists, while hundreds more were injured
Daniel Biddle, the worst-injured survivor of the attacks, said Disney’s production was ‘shameful.’
The 43-year-old told the Sun: ‘It’s absolutely shameful.’
‘I can’t ever forget 7/7 or get over it. This is a lack of respect by Disney.’
Daniel, who lost both legs, an eye and his spleen in the horrific attack, said producers failed to contact him before filming for the show began in early October.
‘It’s pretty sick not to consult those who were injured or the loved ones of those who lost their lives.’
A source told MailOnline that producers ‘have been, and will be’ speaking to several people who were affected by the attack.
But Michael Henning, who is part of an online support group for survivors, was adamant no one had been in touch.
The 57-year-old broker, who was suffered injuries to his face and eye, said: ‘These things have to be done with taste, decency, and dignity.
‘I would implore them to keep everyone informed as this is such a sensitive subject and can cause deep distress.’
On top of this, Disney was accused of distorting facts, despite claiming that the production is a ‘factual dramatisation.’
The explosion that tore through the bus was faithfully recreated, along with blood spatters across nearby pavements and torn up bus seats
Several actors depicting injured victims were seen across Bermondsey, where filming for Suspect: The Shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes took place
Locals said Disney failed to put up many visible signs that warned passers-by of the production
A source insisted that signs were put in place alongside marshals canvassing the area, to alert the public to the nature of the production
One standout image made front pages across the world, showing a barefooted woman in a burns mask. While the iconic image was taken outside Edgeware Road Station in 2005, Disney’s production places her at Tavistock Square.
Disney said none of the actors on set were representing any specific individuals.
Survivor Daniel, who was in the Edgware Road explosion, said: ‘To take a real life event with such a huge loss of life and devastation and say, “It’s not interesting enough, we need to zhuzh it up” is just barbaric.
‘It seems as if they’ve twisted the facts to suit their own narrative.’
Daniel, who now lives in South Wales, added: ‘It should be reflected accurately.
‘People died in horrendous ways and for that to be blatantly disregarded is sick.’
Locals who saw the production being filmed accused Disney of not warning them enough that the traumatic bombing was going to be recreated.
Disney said none of the actors on set were representing any specific individuals
Several survivors condemned Disney for dredging up traumatic memories of the 7/7 bombing
Survivors also accused the entertainment giant of not consulting them before making the programme
The 7/7 bombings took the lives of 52 innocent civilians in the centre of London
Jack Nuzum, 30, added: ‘There was one sign up warning us and then suddenly there was a huge bus crash in the middle of the park that looked like a disaster scene.’
A source insisted that signs were put in place alongside marshals canvassing the area, to alert the public to the nature of the production, and added that the model of the blown-up bus was covered in tarpaulin to reduce the amount of time it was visible.
67-year-old George Psaradakis, who was driving the Number 30 bus when it was torn apart by a suicide bomber, said: It’s been years — why should they ignite it?
‘I’m not going to watch it. It’s tasteless.
‘This will bring pain to everyone, especially to those who lost their loved ones.’
On July 7 2005, four suicide bombers, armed with improvised explosives stuck inside their backpacks, killed 52 people and themselves, and injured hundreds more.
Three of the group – Mohammad Sidique Khan, 30, Shehzad Tanweer, 22, and Hasib Hussain, 18 – departed Leeds in a rented car bound for Luton, where they picked up 19-year-old Germaine Lindsay before heading for the centre of London.
The four attackers went after rush-hour commuters as they set off the explosives in their backpacks between 8:49am and 9:47am.
Victims of Britain’s deadliest terror attack slammed Disney for recreating the traumatic day, and even accused the company of failing to consult victims in the run-up
Filmmakers were seen setting up the production site in Bermondsey, less than two miles away from the blast at Liverpool Street Station which killed seven people
Disney was accused of distorting facts, despite claiming that the production is a ‘factual dramatisation’
The three Underground explosions, at Liverpool Street Station, Edgeware Road Station and Kings Cross St. Pancras/Russell Square, were set off within 50 seconds of each other, while the Tavistock Square explosion was set off as evacuees were being put onboard buses to get them away from Tube stations.
A Disney spokesperson told MailOnline: ‘Suspect: The Shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes is a factual dramatisation of events surrounding the police shooting of the innocent Brazilian shortly after the attempted bombings on 21 July.
‘The team producing the series has significant expertise in this type of programming, incorporating extensive in-depth research that has been approached with the utmost sensitivity and respect, and all involved are conscious of the huge responsibility that comes with telling this story.
‘As with any production, a number of factors were carefully considered when sourcing the filming location, and throughout filming production have worked very closely with TFL, police, the council, community and businesses to ensure all were aware ahead of time that filming was taking place with marshals and signage canvassing the area on the day.’
Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk