Roasted squash with feta, pear tarte tatin and this supremely comforting soup… scrumptious seasonal dishes you’re sure to fall for
This superb minestrone with borlotti beans & orzo pasta is a filling treat
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 30g (1oz) dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in boiling water and chopped
- 1ltr (18fl oz) vegetable stock
- 50g (1¾oz) chunk or rind of Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g tin of borlotti or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 200g (7oz) orzo pasta
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of chilli flakes, optional
Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, fennel, celery and carrots. Stir and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes more. Add the sweet potato, potato and mushrooms (along with the soaking water) and stir well.
Pour the vegetable stock in and add the Parmesan, rosemary and bay leaf.
Cook for 25 minutes then add the borlotti beans and orzo pasta.
Stir and cook for 8 minutes, until the beans and pasta are just cooked and the soup is nice and thick.
Remove from the heat, discard any rind and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Just before serving, add the parsley, season and drizzle in some olive oil. Grate the extra Parmesan and sprinkle on with the chilli flakes, if using.