A Ruby Princess cruise ship passenger in his 80s has died from coronavirus in hospital, taking Australia’s death toll to 46.
The man died at North West Regional Hospital in Tasmania.
He is the fourteenth Ruby Princess passenger to die from coronavirus in Australia.
So far 46 people have died from coronavirus in Australia, including five deaths confirmed on Tuesday.
A Ruby Princess cruise ship passenger in his 80s has died from coronavirus in hospital, taking Australia’s death toll to 46
So far 46 people have died from coronavirus in Australia, including five deaths confirmed on Tuesday
The Ruby Princess cruise ship is docked in Port Kembla, near Wollongong, as a criminal investigation begins into why 2,700 passengers were allowed to disembark in Sydney Harbour on March 19 despite having multiple travellers who were ill with coronavirus symptoms.
The investigation will cover the actions of the port authority, ambulance, police, NSW Health and ship operator Carnival Australia.
The ship is expected to spend up to 10 days in Port Kembla as its 1040 crew members undergo medical assessments, treatment or emergency extractions.
The Ruby Princess cruise ship is docked in Port Kembla, near Wollongong, as a criminal investigation begins
Some 200 have symptoms of the illness. Two of the crew members were taken off the ship yesterday for medical assistance.
‘We will continue to make sure there’s the highest level of security for the locals down in southern NSW,’ NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said on Monday.
More to come.
Timeline of Ruby Princess fiasco
March 18: The Ruby Princess issues an urgent mayday call for an ambulance for two of its passengers presenting with coronavirus-like symptoms 24 hours before the ship is allowed to dock in Sydney.
March 19: The Ruby Princess arrives in Sydney Harbour. More than 2,700 guests are allowed to disembark without adequate health checks.
March 25: Australian Border Force Commissioner Michael Outram says New South Wales Health is responsible for letting coronavirus patients disembark the ship.
March 29: Several crew members are evacuated and taken to hospital after being diagnosed with coronavirus.
April 2: A 66-year-old crew member is taken off the Ruby Princess for medical treatment. More than 200 crew members are sick and in self-isolation.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian defends the actions of NSW Health and the Australian Border Force and points the finger at the Ruby Princess. She claims staff onboard may have misled NSW Health about the extent of illnesses in passengers.
April 3: Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton alleges Ruby Princess’ operators weren’t transparent about the health of crew: ‘It was ‘clear that some of the companies have been lying about the health of passengers and crew on board’.
April 4: Leaked emails show NSW Health knew of the coronavirus risk on board the Ruby Princess before allowing its thousands of passengers to disembark.
April 5: A criminal investigation is launched into how passengers were able to disembark without health checks