This simple pasta dish is packed full of flavour, yet only takes 30 minutes to make. Great for a midweek dinner when time is of the essence.
ProPoints® value: 8
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 20mins
- 250 g White Pasta, dry, use penne
- 5 spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 4 rasher(s) (medium) Back Bacon, raw, cut into thin strips
- 2 small Onion, red, sliced
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
- 1 individual Chilli, Green or Red, de-seeded and diced
- 2 can(s) (large) Tinned Tomatoes, chopped, (400g cans)
- 2 tablespoons (level) Tomato Purèe
- 2 tablespoons (level) Dried Basil, torn, plus extra to garnish
- 1 pinch Salt, and black pepper, freshly ground
Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 10–12 minutes or according to packet instructions. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
Meanwhile, spray a large, non stick pan with the cooking spray. Add the bacon, onions, garlic and chilli and cook, stirring over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onions have softened. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato purée and cook for 5 minutes until thickened slightly.
Add the basil and season. Add the drained pasta and stir to combine. Heat until piping hot then serve garnished with the extra basil leaves.