A childcare worker has sought new legal representation as he faces thousands of child-abuse-related charges, including multiple counts of rape.
Ashley Paul Griffith was charged with thousands of child abuse-related offences following a lengthy investigation into his alleged activities at childcare centres across the country.
Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday was told Mr Griffith’s original legal team had sought leave to withdraw from the matter.
Calvin Gnech, Mr Griffith’s new lawyer, said he had a ‘substantial amount of material’ to review in the brief of evidence.
Former childcare worker Ashley Paul Griffith is facing more than 1600 charges
Mr Gnech told the court a grant of legal aid was pending.
‘I’m not sure whether that will be the end of the matter in regards to our involvement,’ he said.
Mr Griffith is facing more than 1600 charges, including rape, indecent treatment of children and making and possessing child exploitation material.
During Monday’s brief mention, Crown prosecutor Steven Dickson said he was still working on a statement of facts for the end of the year.
The court was told issues with prearranged Christmas leave meant Mr Griffith’s matter would need a lengthy adjournment.
Magistrate Anthony Gett adjourned the matter to January 29 next year.
Mr Griffith has been in custody since August last year when he was first charged with two counts of making child exploitation material and one count of using a carriage service for child pornography material.
Police allege more child abuse material was found on devices belonging to Mr Griffith a year later.
It’s alleged Mr Griffith recorded his abuse of children – all pre-pubescent girls – on phones and cameras while working at 10 childcare centres in Brisbane between 2007 to 2013 and 2018 to 2022.
Further alleged offences took place at a location in Europe between 2013 and 2014 and in a Sydney centre between 2014 and 2017.
Mr Griffith has worked at other childcare centres but is not alleged to have offended there.
Police allege videos and photographs produced by Griffith were first spotted on a dark web platform by investigators in 2014.
AFP Assistant Commissioner Justine Gough said federal police were confident all children allegedly recorded had been identified
They were only traced back to a Brisbane childcare centre in August 2022.
In a statement, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) said it was confident all 87 Australian children allegedly recorded had been identified and their parents informed.
Some are now over 18.
‘This is a distressing time for families, carers and the community broadly,’ AFP Assistant Commissioner Justine Gough said when the charges were laid in August.
In a since-deleted staff profile at one of the centres he worked at, Griffith said he was a ‘firm believer in play-based learning’.
‘I love engaging children in meaningful experiences that inspire their play and learning,’ he said.
‘Young children are natural inquirers, exploring the world through their senses, seeking answers and building theories.
‘As an Early Childhood Teacher I hope to share this journey, learning side-by-side children and inspiring them.’
Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk