James Martin’s foul-mouthed rant at his TV crew is laid bare by an extraordinary leaked tape recorded shortly after his shock cancer diagnosis. 

Martin, who is at the centre of a bullying storm following allegations he intimidated staff on his food show James Martin’s Spanish Adventure, revealed that he had an operation to remove the facial cancer after his diagnosis in 2018.

The shock admission came after an extraordinary tape was leaked to The Sun where Martin, 51, berated his TV crew in a foul-mouthed rant over a blocked drain.

Martin told the newspaper that the outburst was the culmination of a string of unfortunate events in his life, which began with the death of his grandfather, then was followed by a home invasion by masked burglars, and finally his cancer diagnosis.

He said: ‘I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn’t do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming. Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments.’

The abusive rant which happened during the production of his show, James Martin’s Saturday Morning, took place on a heated Zoom call in 2018 – the same year he had surgery for his cancer.

But ITV has also confirmed it has spoken to the star after concerns were raised over treatment of crew members during the filming of James Martin’s Spanish Adventure in May. 

James Martin (pictured on This Morning) has opened up about his shock cancer diagnosis, revealing he is receiving 'regular treatment' after undergoing surgery in 2018

James Martin (pictured on This Morning) has opened up about his shock cancer diagnosis, revealing he is receiving 'regular treatment' after undergoing surgery in 2018

James Martin (pictured on This Morning) has opened up about his shock cancer diagnosis, revealing he is receiving ‘regular treatment’ after undergoing surgery in 2018

Martin (pictured in 2018) said before the abusive rant he was dealing with the death of his last living grandparent, his grandfather, and that he could not attend his funeral due to work commitments

Martin (pictured in 2018) said before the abusive rant he was dealing with the death of his last living grandparent, his grandfather, and that he could not attend his funeral due to work commitments

Martin (pictured in 2018) said before the abusive rant he was dealing with the death of his last living grandparent, his grandfather, and that he could not attend his funeral due to work commitments

ITV has also confirmed it has spoken to the star (pictured with dogs Ralph and Cooper) after concerns were raised over treatment of crew members during the filming of James Martin's Spanish Adventure in May

ITV has also confirmed it has spoken to the star (pictured with dogs Ralph and Cooper) after concerns were raised over treatment of crew members during the filming of James Martin's Spanish Adventure in May

ITV has also confirmed it has spoken to the star (pictured with dogs Ralph and Cooper) after concerns were raised over treatment of crew members during the filming of James Martin’s Spanish Adventure in May

Martin at the centre of a bullying storm following allegations he intimidated staff on his food show. Pictured: Martin and Tom Kitchin filming for James Martin's Great British Adventure

Martin at the centre of a bullying storm following allegations he intimidated staff on his food show. Pictured: Martin and Tom Kitchin filming for James Martin's Great British Adventure

Martin at the centre of a bullying storm following allegations he intimidated staff on his food show. Pictured: Martin and Tom Kitchin filming for James Martin’s Great British Adventure

In a joint statement released on Wednesday, Martin and production company Blue Marlin said that ‘lessons have been learned’ as they try to move on from the controversy. 

Speaking in response to a leaked tape of his shocking rant, Martin said that the end of 2017 was ‘one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life’.

He went on to admit that he was dealing with the death of his last living grandparent, his grandfather, and that he could not attend his funeral due to work commitments.

Martin added that he was burgled by masked men later that month who entered his home while his partner Louise was at home alone and he was away working.

The 51-year-old then shockingly revealed his cancer diagnosis, adding that he was in a ‘very emotional state’ from all the stress. He said that he became ‘extremely upset’ when his home flooded while filming in 2018. The chef claims the drain blockage caused £30,000 worth of damage.

‘I can only say I am human and following a build-up of personal life pressure, I admit that I overreacted regarding the damage to my home,’ he told The Sun. 

Martin’s furious tirade was leaked following a string of bullying accusations. In the recording, he swears 42 times and says his staff should be ‘f***ing fried’ and orders them to take their lunch break standing in the ‘f***ing rain’. 

He demanded that his team showed him and his house ‘more f***ing respect’, adding: ‘If not, you’re gone.’ 

Blue Marlin has made numerous shows with Martin and has taken responsibility for the 2018 incident where his home and garden were damaged.

A Blue Marlin spokesman said: ‘An unfortunate incident occurred after filming James Martin’s Saturday Morning in 2018 where James’ home was badly damaged. 

Speaking in response to a leaked tape of Martin's shocking rant, the chef said that the end of 2017 was 'one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life'

Speaking in response to a leaked tape of Martin's shocking rant, the chef said that the end of 2017 was 'one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life'

Speaking in response to a leaked tape of Martin’s shocking rant, the chef said that the end of 2017 was ‘one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life’

Martin (pictured) added that he was burgled by masked men later that month who entered his home while his partner Louise was at home alone and he was away working

Martin (pictured) added that he was burgled by masked men later that month who entered his home while his partner Louise was at home alone and he was away working

Martin (pictured) added that he was burgled by masked men later that month who entered his home while his partner Louise was at home alone and he was away working

‘Blue Marlin Television accepted responsibility. James was shocked by what had happened and on reflection acknowledges he responded emotionally, which he wholly regrets.

‘James apologises for any offence or upset caused, as he did at the time to the crew involved.’

They added: ‘Following this and some issues filming James Martin’s Spanish Adventures, James and Blue Marlin Television agree that lessons have been learned which have been discussed with members of the team and with ITV.

‘Blue Marlin Television and James Martin have taken on board ITV’s recommendations and their sharing of best practice, and are in the process of fully implementing.

‘Since the 2018 incident, Blue Marlin Television has continued to film over 500 shows at James’ home.

‘Blue Marlin Television remains committed to ensuring the welfare of all those with whom they work is of the utmost priority.’

Martin has also faced allegations that he intimidated his crew – in the latest crisis to hit ITV.

The broadcaster told the chef to change his behaviour after receiving a complaint in May about his alleged conduct, according to a report. 

Concerns were raised about the star’s treatment of crew during filming on James Martin’s Spanish Adventure, Deadline claims.

ITV declined to tell Deadline whether James had broken its Supplier Code of Conduct, which stipulates that shoots should be free from ‘harassment and abuse’ and people should be treated with ‘courtesy, dignity and respect’.

The allegations are the latest blow to ITV, which has been mired in controversy since This Morning presenter Phillip Schofield admitted lying to the Mail on Sunday about an affair with a younger male colleague.

Martin (pictured) has also faced allegations that he intimidated his crew - in the latest crisis to hit ITV

Martin (pictured) has also faced allegations that he intimidated his crew - in the latest crisis to hit ITV

Martin (pictured) has also faced allegations that he intimidated his crew – in the latest crisis to hit ITV

Phillip Schofield (pictured) was also accused of 'bullying' co-workers. ITV has been mired in controversy since the former This Morning host admitted lying to the Mail on Sunday about an affair with a younger male colleague

Phillip Schofield (pictured) was also accused of 'bullying' co-workers. ITV has been mired in controversy since the former This Morning host admitted lying to the Mail on Sunday about an affair with a younger male colleague

Phillip Schofield (pictured) was also accused of ‘bullying’ co-workers. ITV has been mired in controversy since the former This Morning host admitted lying to the Mail on Sunday about an affair with a younger male colleague

Schofield, who was axed from the show, was also accused of ‘bullying’ co-workers – allegations for which ITV found no evidence.

An ITV spokesman said: ‘At ITV people and their welfare are our highest priority. The production companies who make shows for us have primary responsibility for the duty of care of everyone they work with, both on and off screen.

‘We make clear our expectations in this regard as part of our pre-greenlight duty of care processes. This includes having appropriate independent controls in place to enable everyone who works on their shows to confidently and confidentially raise concerns.’

The ITV spokesman continued: ‘Following a complaint we received in May from members of the Blue Marlin production team about the filming of James Martin’s Spanish Adventure, we contacted Blue Marlin to discuss these concerns and to understand how the issues raised were being addressed and what actions were being taken.

‘As a result, we made a number of recommendations for Blue Marlin to implement as soon as possible, sharing best practice of some of our own relevant procedures around staff welfare and reiterating our Supplier Code of Conduct.’

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Global Covid death toll reaches 6 MILLION: US leads the world with 950,000 deaths

The world reached a grim milestone on Monday morning, with the six…

Biden administration vaccinating migrant children against COVID-19

The Biden administration is vaccinating some unaccompanied migrant children against the coronavirus,…

Low health-care capacity cost Canada economically amid pandemic: report – National

Canada’s health-care capacity ranks among the worst of its peers and is…

Africa needs 20 mn second AstraZeneca jabs in six weeks: WHO

Satellite imagery of Africa. Credit: Public Domain Africa needs at least 20…