Michigan parents are outraged after a kindergartener brought in bottles of Jose Cuervo margarita mix and gave it to several students during snack time.
Five kindergarteners at Grand River Academia in Livonia shared Dixie cups full of single-serve margarita mix on Thursday after a student who later admitted she knew it was alcohol, gave it to them, telling them it was juice.
Dominique Zanders’ daughter, who was not named, reportedly had four of five sips by the time the school called her and said her daughter ‘felt woozy [and] a little dizzy.’
‘The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face,’ Zanders told Fox 10.
Five kindergarteners were served Jose Cuervo margarita by another five-year-old, who later admitted she knew it was liquor on Thursday at Grand River Academy
A bottle of the liquor was shown on parent’s phone. The bottle appears to be half empty
The student reportedly bought in single-serve bottles in her backpack
‘I had a small conversation with my daughter – nothing big – and she told me the girl knew it was liquor,’ Alexis Smith agreed. ‘If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it, but they should know not to touch it. That it’s not for kids.’
‘My daughter takes medicine,’ she told Local 4 News. ‘First off, no kid should be drinking, and you know, just the shock itself, it burns. Like how do you feel, like anything could have happened.’
Smith said her daughter would not be returning on Monday. The school was closed on Friday.
The little girl reportedly brought in single-serve bottles in her backpack and the school said in a letter to parents that ‘disciplinary measures’ will be taken against the student.
Parents want the student’s parents to punished for the incident.
However, parents aren’t satisfied and are wondering how it could have been prevented, Fox 10 reported.
‘I’m not sure if they are short-staffed or whatever, it shouldn’t have happened,’ Zanders told Fox 10.
Grand River said they try to ‘keep an eye on everything our students bring to school,’ but it’s ‘simply not possible’ to catch everything.
Dominique Zanders (left) and Alexis Smith (right) both received calls from the school. Zanders was told her daughter took four or five sips of alcohol and said her daughter was ‘woozy.’ Smith criticized the school for allowing it to happen and said she was worried because her daughter was on medicine. She also said her daughter would not be returning to school on Monday
‘It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks,’ the school said in a statement. School employees did call poison control, as small children can easily experience alcohol poisoning.
‘Children’s bodies absorb alcohol fast. This can occur in less than 30 minutes,’ Fairview Health said. ‘Small amounts of alcohol can cause symptoms in young children. Even inhaling rubbing alcohol can make a child sick.’
Children who consume alcohol can experience seizures or coma. Even everyday products that contain alcohol – like mouthwash – can affect a child.
All the students are reportedly doing fine.
DailyMail.com has attempted to contact Grand River Academy.
The school released a letter to parents acknowledging the incident and said the student will be disciplined
The school said it’s ‘unfortunate’ that alcohol bottles can be ‘easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks’
Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk