The comedian, now 48, is currently facing allegations of sexual assaults and abusive and predatory behaviour between 2006 and 2013, when he was at the height of his fame, following Saturday’s bombshell Dispatches documentary. He has denied the allegations.
When taking to the stage at the bash to collect his gong Russell made a very crude remark saying: ‘Here’s to Rod Stewart who had a go at me earlier this year for too much womanising’.
Before adding: ‘But then again I did have a go on his daughter’.
When Sir Rod, now 78, then collected his own trophy he made a point of blasting Russell for his comment.
Fuming: Russell Brand, 48, was called out by a furious Sir Rod Stewart, 78, at the 2006 GQ Men Of The Year Awards after he claimed to have slept with the singer’s daughter Kimberly (pictured)
Former flame: The comedian is currently facing allegations of sexual assaults and abusive and predatory behaviour between 2006 and 2013, when he was at the height of his fame (Kimberly and Russell pictured in 2006)
Addressing him directly, the Maggie May hitmaker said: ‘You went with my daughter, did you? Russell, stand up.’
The comedian then seemingly lost all his bravado and could be heard sheepishly mumbling: ‘I took her out for one evening’.
A fuming Rod asked if Russell had behaved himself on said evening with the former Big Brother host backtracking and saying: ‘I never touched that girl’.
‘F***ing right you didn’t’ Rod snapped, ‘You mustn’t come up here and boast. I speak here as a father.’
Rod – who has eight children in total – shares Kimberly, now 44, and son Sean, 43, with ex-wife Alana, 78.
Brand reportedly attempted to make amends following the tense moment and the pair could be seen sharing a smile following the awards ceremony.
Rod later told the Evening Standard: ‘[Russell] might be a bit of a player but he shouldn’t boast. I never did. Russell’s been a bit timid since I had my say.’
One woman has alleged Brand raped her in his Los Angeles home, while another accused him of grooming her as they were involved in an allegedly ’emotionally abusive and controlling relationship’ for three months when she was just 16 and still at school, and he was 31.
Gross: When taking to the stage at the bash to collect his gong Russell made a very crude remark saying he had ‘had a go’ on the musician’s daughter (pictured at the event)
Called out: Sir Rod made asked Russell to elaborate after making the rude comment only for the comedian to backtrack
Dad: Rod – who has eight children in total – shares Kimberly, now 44, and son Sean, 43, with ex-wife Alana, 78 (Rod pictured with Kimberley in 2021)
A third accuser claimed the comic sexually assaulted her while she worked with him in Los Angeles, and that he threatened to take legal action if she told anyone else about her allegation, and a fourth detailed the alleged sexual, physical and emotional abuse she was subjected to.
Allegations about Russell‘s ‘sinister’ behaviour towards women were an ‘open secret’ among TV and radio executives, it has been claimed.
The broadcasters have insisted they took all necessary steps over him, but executives could still be called before a Government select committee where MPs will grill them over what they knew.
Brand has been accused of rape, sexual assault and emotional abuse by multiple women, including one who says she was 16 at the time.
His behaviour is alleged to have been common knowledge among female performers on the comedy circuit, who are said to warned each other about him.
rand has posted a video on YouTube and Twitter refuting the allegations and insisted relationships at the time of his promiscuity’ were ‘consensual’.
However, his attitude towards women is alleged to have been an open secret in radio and TV production, according to sources who briefed The Sunday Times.
Making up: Brand reportedly attempted to make amends following the tense moment and the pair could be seen sharing a smile following the awards ceremony
Shocking: In a string of allegations, the 48-year-old comedian was accused of sexual assaults and abusive and predatory behaviour between 2006 and 2013, when he was at the height of his fame. He has denied the allegations (pictured on Saturday)
He also has a history of making high-profile and controversial remarks about women on his shows – including calling newsreader Andrea Simmons a ‘sex bomb’ and describing her as ‘erotic’ and saying he wanted to ‘go under the desk’ while she was reading the news.
In 2008 a ferocious public backlash was sparked after Brand and Jonathan Ross called the much-loved Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs during Brand’s show and left lewd messages on his answerphone – including bragging about sex with Sachs’s granddaughter Georgina Baillie, with whom he had a brief relationship.
According to The Sunday Times many believe the BBC should been awake to the concerns about Brand’s behaviour on his show well before the Sachsgate scandal.
Reportedly, a serious complaint was made by BBC staff to the station’s Controller Lesley Douglas about Brand’s behaviour in the studio, in December 2007.
Alice – not her real name – claims that Brand assaulted her when he was 31 and she was 16 and his ‘sex addict personality is just a smokescreen for his dark behaviour’
The Times has reported that the complaint followed an ‘alarming display of aggression and disrespect’ by the radio host where he hurled objects in a fit of rage.
It also reported he urinated in a bottle in full view of production staff and a guest – who ‘appeared to be a minor’ – and had been invited to appear on Radio 2 by a charity.
This alleged complaint and any others that had been made were not mentioned in subsequent official reports into Sachsgate.
Douglas’ lawyers have said she ‘did not at any time encourage, enable and/or fail herself to take any adequate steps within her power with regard to the conduct of Russell Brand of which she was aware’.
‘She is presently unable to provide any further information which may be relevant to the matters raised in this article due to the obligations owed by her to her former employer,’ her lawyers added.
Brand left the BBC after the serious editorial breach in 2008 as did Douglas.