Prince Harry could miss the Queen's Jubilee celebrations amid reports he has pledged to play a full season of polo in California - running across the
Prince Harry could miss the Queen‘s Jubilee celebrations amid reports he has pledged to play a full season of polo in California – running across the Bang Holiday weekend.
The Duke of Sussex, 37, who was pictured playing polo last week, will play the rest of the 12 goal polo season at Santa Barbara, California with his Los Padres teammates, Meghan Markle‘s friend Omid Scobie has claimed.
The Finding Freedom author says Harry will participate in the Folded Hills Pope Challenge between May 9th-15th, Lisle Nixon Cup from May 20th-29th as well as the Cheval Athletics USPA Intra-Circuit which runs June 3rd-19th.
His commitment to the June tournament could mean that Harry is not planning to attend the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee – though he could still attend main events if his schedule permits it.
The jubilee bank holiday begins on Thursday June 2, running to Sunday June 5, with Royal family appearances expected on the Buckingham Palace balcony at either end of the celebration.
The polo matches in Santa Barbara are played on Friday and Sunday afternoons, The Telegraph reports.
It is not known whether Harry has shared his plans with the palace.
Harry could still return for the Trooping of the Colour on the Thursday, but he has not yet given a public indication he will do so. He has previously said he is not able to come back to the UK with his family safely unless there is a change in his security arrangements – but the Sussexes would enjoy full security, along with other Royals, at jubilee events.
MailOnline has contacted the Sussexes for comment.
It comes just days after the the Queen‘s grandson, who lives in $14m mansion in nearby Montecito with wife Meghan, 40, and their two children Archie and Lilbet, beamed throughout a friendly game of polo with his old friend Nacho Figuera at Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club for the annual Harry East Memorial Tournament.
Prince Harry recently completed a a friendly game of polo with his old friend Nacho Figuera at Santa Barbara Polo and Racquet Club
Harry on his polo pony during the chukka he took part in last weekend. He has now reportedly signed up for the whole season
Nacho, who has been described by Tatler as the ‘David Beckham of polo’ and ‘one of the most recognisable players in the world, has actively spoken out to defend Harry and Meghan over the years (pictured, with Delphine in 2018)
Prince Harry (pictured second from left) will play the ‘entire 12 goal polo season’ with his Los Padres teammates, claims Omid Scobie
The Queen, and Meghan the Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry watch a flypast of Royal Air Force aircraft pass over Buckingham Palace in London, Thursday July 10, 2018
Nacho said he was ‘thrilled’ to have had the opportunity to ride alongside Prince Harry in the caption of a snap he posted on Instagram.
Sharing the picture, which was taken by his daughter Aurora, Nacho wrote: ”Thrilled to be riding alongside my friend, Prince Harry, and the rest of the Los Padres team at the @SantaBarbaraPoloClub’s Harry East Memorial Tournament.
‘We’ve ridden together many times over the years and now that we’re both parents, it’s extra special to be able to spend this time together.
‘The name Los Padres was inspired by the proximity of the field to the Los Padres National Forest and also by our connection as fathers.’
Having enjoyed watching the event alongside Nacho’s wife Delphine, and her close friend Markus Anderson, it is likely Meghan may continue to support Harry at his upcoming matches.
Tickets for the polo matches, which will take place at the third oldest polo facility in the US have already begun to sell out.
The Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club has attracted beginners and advanced players since being established in 1911.
Nacho, who has been described by Tatler as the ‘David Beckham of polo’ and ‘one of the most recognisable players in the world, has actively spoken out to defend Harry and Meghan over the years.
The father-of-four attended the Sussex wedding and has played polo alongside Harry in various polo matches.
He is an ambassador for Sentebale, an organisation founded by the prince which is dedicated to helping children and young people who or whose families suffer with HIV and Aids in Lesotho, South Africa.
He appeared on Ellen’s show in September 2019 to announce that he would ‘defend his friends’ with his life.
During the interview he also described Meghan as ‘incredible’, and revealed how she ‘gave up everything for the man she loves’.
Last year he launched a selection of six fragrances, including one named ‘Windsor’, which hinted at a ‘brotherhood of kindred spirits’ with the Duke.
It was hoped the Queen might appear on the iconic balcony beside other members of her family, but that now looks in doubt due to the 96-year-old’s restricted mobility. Aides are busy devising a ‘plan B’.
An insider said: ‘It could still happen but it is by no means guaranteed that we will see the Queen on the balcony during the Jubilee.’
Appearances on the famous balcony, which overlooks The Mall, has been a focal point for historic Royal occasions.
Royal newlyweds have appeared there to share a kiss for the crowds below and the Royal Family traditionally gathers on the balcony to wave after the annual Trooping the Colour parade.
Queen Elizabeth II gesturing on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on June 5 2012, with son Prince Charles and grandson Prince William. Her Majesty’s ppearance on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to mark the finale of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations is ‘by no means guaranteed’, a well-placed source has told The Mail on Sunday
The Monarch is joined on the Buckingham Palace balcony by members of the royal family for the Jubilee in 2019. It was hoped the Queen might appear on the iconic balcony beside other members of her family, but that now looks in doubt due to the 96-year-old’s restricted mobility
Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh waving from the balcony for the Jubilee in 1977. An insider said: ‘It could still happen but it is by no means guaranteed that we will see the Queen on the balcony during the Jubilee’
Every jubilee year of the Queen’s reign has also featured a balcony moment, when various members of her family come together to watch an RAF flypast.
But courtiers fear that the tradition may come to an end in June.
The warning comes just days after plans for the Jubilee People’s Pageant on Sunday, June 5 were released. It will culminate in a ‘national tribute’ led by the singer Ed Sheeran.
The first recorded balcony appearance came when Queen Victoria stepped out to greet the public during celebrations for the opening of the Great Exhibition in 1851.
For the Golden Jubilee in 2002, Brian May, guitarist with the band Queen, performed the national anthem from the Palace roof.
A decade later, the Diamond Jubilee featured a slimmed down Monarchy on the balcony comprising the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
Some members of the Royal Family were reportedly dismayed at being excluded.
A source said: ‘One aide had a call from the Duke of York demanding to be reinstated and another from the Wessexes, who were clearly smarting at being excluded.’
Now there are more difficult decisions, including whether to feature the balcony moment at all if the Queen is unable to be present.
Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh waving from the balcony after Her Majesty’s Coronation in 1953. Appearances on the famous balcony, which overlooks The Mall, has been a focal point for historic Royal occasions
Prince Andrew is highly unlikely to appear given his departure from public life after the settlement of a civil court case in America over allegations of sexual abuse, which he vehemently denies.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex also stepped down from their Royal roles, which would seem to automatically exclude them from playing an official part in the Platinum Jubilee to celebrate the Queen’s 70 years on the throne, though Prince Harry has indicated that he may return to Britain with his family for the celebrations.
The Queen is yet to meet her great-granddaughter, ten-month-old Lilibet.
During the recent Invictus Games in the Netherlands, Harry told a US television network: ‘I don’t know yet.
There’s lots of things with security issues and everything else. So, this is what I’m trying to do, trying to make it possible that I can get my kids to meet her.’
But a non-appearance on the balcony by the Queen would solve one problem by putting an end to family squabbles over who ought to stand alongside her.
Andrew is said to be jostling for involvement in the jubilee and is expected to continue to attend family gatherings. But questions are being asked over what constitutes an official jubilee engagement.